The accompanying citation read ”Labadi Beach Hotel, now one of the two five star hotels in Ghana, continues to maintain the lead in well appointed and expanded facilities, courteous staff and world class services. The Hotel’s latest state of the art conference facilities are already attracting an ever growing clientele. High profile business and leisure clientele continue to patronise Labadi Beach Hotel.
The other recipients of the awards included Best Western Premier Hotel, four-star hotel of the year, Biege Village Resort, three-star hotel of the year, MJ Grand Hotel, two-star hotel of the year and Windy Bay Hotel, one-star hotel of the year.
This year’s event, on the theme: “Harnessing Our Tourism Resources for National Development,” gave out 29 competitive and 7 honorary awards to individuals and organisations who have made immense contributions to the growth of the tourism industry.
Mrs Elizabeth Ofusu-Adjare, Minister of Tourism, Culture and Creative Arts, said the awards was instituted to drive service quality in the country’s tourism and enhance Ghana’s position as a competitive tourism destination.
She said it also provided a platform to recognise and reward deserving partners and stakeholders who had supported various facets of the country’s tourism development efforts.
Mrs Ofosu-Adjare said tourism was a dynamic sector with tremendous potentials to boost inclusive growth and reduce poverty through employment creation and opening up of rural areas.
“The sector is expected to play a positive role in the economic transformation of the country alongside agriculture, mining, oil and gas and services,” she said.
The Minister said the process for the upgrading of the Hotel Catering and Tourism Training Institute into a fully-fledged National Tourism Academy has started with the hope that the institute, with satellite campuses in all regions, would be built.
“This is to provide the requisite training and skills development necessary to enhance quality service delivery for satisfaction of visitors as well as patrons in the industry,” she said.
Mrs Ofosu-Adjare said the Ministry, in collaboration with its stakeholders and in partnership with the Japan International Co-operation Agency, had embarked on a scheme to train 100,000 youth in employable skills throughout the country.
She said it should give the Culture and Creative Arts sector a boost and also ensure the production of high quality craft items for the tourist and export market.
She said it was disconcerting to know that many leading hotels and restaurants source their supplies of some basic items outside the country, indicating that this was a challenge for the local producers.
She said the Ghana Tourism Authority is establishing district offices to bring tourism administration closer to the doorsteps of communities to enhance efficiency, with seven pilot offices ready to be commissioned next year.
Other awardees in the honorary category included Chinese Embassy in Ghana, Kasena Nakana District Assembly, Ghana Tourism Society, and Movenpick Ambassador Hotel.
The rest are Papaye Fast Foods, Latex Foam, Coconut Groove Hotels, Kasapreko Company Limited and Buabeng Fiema Monkey Sanctuary.
The other competitive award winners are African World Airline, Airline of the year (Domestic), Mirror Newspaper, tourism oriented media print, Metro Television, tourism oriented media electronic, Touristswatch.com, tourist website of the year, and Mole National Park, visitor attraction of the year. Below is the List of All Awards winners
1. 5-Star Hotel of the Year………. Labadi Beach Hotel,
2. 4-Star Hotel of the Year………. Best Western Premier Hotel,
3. 3-Star Hotel of the Year……… Biege Village, New Abirem,
4. 2-Star Hotel of the Year…….. MJ Grand Hotel, Greater Accra
5. 1-Star Hotel of the Tear…… Windy Bay Hotel,
6. Guest House of the Year…… LOU MOON LODGE,
7. Budget Hotel of the Year…. Blessed Mary of the passion guest house
8. Hostel of the Year…… .Providence Hostel,
9. Travel Agency of the Year….. Kumasi Travel Agency ,
10. Tour Company of the Year….. Sunseekers Tours,
11. Traditional Catering of the year….. God is Love Chop Bar
12. Site Guide of the Year……Mr. Essel Blankson, Cape Coast Castle
13. Tour Guide of the Year…. Sly Hutchson, Slutch Tours,
14. Tourism Oriented Media (Print)……………. The Mirror, Greater Accra
15. Tourism Oriented Media(Television)……..Metro TV, Greater Accra
16. Tourism Website of the Year………………. Touristswatch.com,
17. Tourism Correspondent of the Year……Kwamena Onumah,GBC Sunrise fm
18. Restaurant of the Year(International)…Daisu Hospitalit(Santoku),
19. Restaurant of the Year(Indeigeous)……Azmera Restaurant,
20. Domestic Airline of the Year…………….. Africa World Airlines
21. Drinking Bar of the Year……………………… Rabazey Spot, Ho Volta Region
22. Visitor Attraction of the Year…………………Mole National Park,
23. Car Rental Agency of the Year…………………Atlas Rent-a-Car
24. Nite club of the Year……………………Aphrodisiac Night Club, Accra
1. Consistent support for tourism promotion- Latex Foam Rubber Company
2. Consistent Payment of Tourism levy(Accommodation)- Moevenpick Ambassador Hotel
3. Consistent payment off Tourism Levy (Category)-…. Papaye Fast Foods
4. Exemplary award for sustainable eco- tourism…… Buabeng Fiema Monkey Sanctuary Brong Ahafo
5. International Support for Tourism Training…. Embassy Of The People’s Republic Of China, Greater Accra
6. District Assembly Support for Tourism Development…. Kassena Nankana District Assembly, Northern Region
7. Exemplary Award for Hotel Investment… Coconut Grove Hotels
8. Consistent support for Tourism Promotion…Kasapreko Ghana Limited
9. NGO promotion of Domestic Tourism… Tourism Society of Ghana
10. Consistent support for Tourism Promotion… Telefonika Ghana Limited