Founded in 1945 following a request by the Emperor of Ethiopia, Ethiopian Airlines is the flag carrier of Ethiopia. Since then it has grown to be the fastest growing airline in Africa, while former heavyweight South African Airlines is on the decline.
The African airline was the second customer for the Boeing B787 aircraft, showing how much Boeing values the airline. In fact, many countries are now looking to Ethiopian to help set up their national airlines. Simple Flying takes a look at the unstoppable growth of Ethiopian Airlines.
As previously mentioned, Ethiopian Airlines was founded in 1945. This followed a request made by the emperor of Ethiopia to France, the UK, and the US. Eventually, TWA picked up the offer founding the airline with a $25m ETB investment from the government. While the airline was operated by TWA, it was solely owned by the Ethiopian Government.
Ethiopian’s first revenue service operated using a Douglas C-47 acquired from the US government. It flew from Addis Ababa to Asmara to Cairo. The flight was first operated on the 8th April in 1946. By 1949 Ethiopian Airlines was recording profits of £40,000 or around £1,343,750.00 in today’s money. Now, fast forward a fair few years, and Ethiopian Airlines receives their first B787 in 2012. Ethiopian became a member of the Star Alliance in 2011 following an invitation from Lufthansa.
While airlines like Qatar are busy investing in a number of different airlines, Ethiopian has been busy starting airlines left, right, and centre. One of the most recent airlines it has launched is Tchadia of Chad. Tchadia became Chad’s flag carrier with its first flight on 1st October 2018. With 11 initial routes, Tchadia was launched using two Q400 aircraft.
The Chadian Government owns 51% of the airline, with Ethiopian Airlines owning the other 49%, meaning that the government has the controlling say in the airline. This gives Ethiopian a strategic advantage in having more than one airline bringing in money. In fact, Ethiopian Airlines either runs or is looking to run, a part of airlines in 6 different African nations. This gives Ethiopian a huge share of the rapidly expanding African aviation market.
Still Launching New Routes
Ethiopian Airlines has no plans to slow their growth. The airline is still launching new routes. In fact, on Monday Ethiopian launched the first route that travels non-stop between Los Angeles and Africa. The airline had been flying to Los Angeles via a stop required for technical reasons in Dublin, however, this stop has now moved to Lomé in Togo.
Lomé is where ASKY Airlines is based, and ASKY is an airline in which Ethiopian owns a 40% share. This all put together means passengers bound for all corners of Africa from Los Angeles will have much more convenient transfer options. This new route will depart Los Angeles and Lomé on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays.
In addition to the new African route, Ethiopian has also launched a couple of new routes into Europe. A new flight has launched from Addis Ababa to Moscow. This service will operate directly between the cities using a B787-8, and launched on 17th of December. Launching slightly earlier on 11th December was a new route to Manchester. This route, also operated by a B787-8 is an extension of the Addis Ababa to Brussels route.
However, According to anna.aero Ethiopian do not have the rights to carry passengers between Brussels and Manchester.
How big do you think Ethiopian will grow? Let us know in the comments down below!