Nigeria has topped the list of recipients for the prestigious 2019 BALAFON West African Travel and Tourism Awards.
The list which was released by African Travel Quarterly (ATQ), revealed that three Nigerians, bagged the award for the 2019 BALAFON West in the different categories.
The award for the Travel Personality of the Year in West Africa was won by the Chairman of Air Peace, Chief Allen Onyeama, the Director General, National Council for Art and Culture (NCAC), Otunba Segun Runsewe won the Tourism Man of the Year West Africa Award and Chief Executive Officer, Golden Tulip West Africa, Amaechi Ndili won the award for Hotel Personality of the Year in West Africa.
Past winners of Balafon award of excellence include: the executive Governor of Cross Rivers State, Prof. Ben Ayade, Stella Fubara, the Director of International Operations, Dubai Department of Tourism and Commerce Marketing, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Tour Brokers International Limited (TBI) Uloma Egbuna,, Managing Director, Aero Contractors, Captain Ado Sanusi and Mr. Bankole Muneer, the Managing Director of Medview airlines.
Balafon awards of Excellence is an annual Awards organized to recognize Pioneers and best players in the industry for the ECOWAS region. For this year, Atqnews.com is using Balafon awards to draw attentions to the best conference centres in West Africa. In 2017, it hosted the awards for ‘Top 100 Tourism personalities in West Africa’ and at the 2018 edition it hosted the ‘Top 100 Hotels in West Africa’. Beside its annual Balafon award in 2019, atqnews.com seeks to position in positive light the leading conference centres in West Africa.
The 5th Accra Weizo 2019 is organized by Akwaaba Travel Market in partnership with Ghana Tourism Authority, themed: “seamless travel is West Africa,” is expected to bring travel and tourism professionals from across the West Africa region.
Last year, at the World Travel Market in London, Ghana Tourism Authority signed a 5 year MOU with the Organisers of Accra Weizo. The MOU is to Jointly Organise the Successful Expo with the owners Akwaaba Travel Market. Accra Weizo has been organized in Ghana for 4 years now and the 2019 edition is for June 28th and 29th.
The awards will hold at the 5th Accra Weizo, the West African region fair, 2019 edition at the La Palm Royal Beach Resort, Accra-Ghana on the 28th of June.
Other winners of the 2019 BALAFON West African Travel and Tourism AWARDS include:
1. Travel Personality of the Year in West Africa – Chief Allen Onyeama (Airpeace)
2. Tourism Man of the Year in West Africa – Otunba Segun Runsewe- DG, Nigeria Council
For Art and Culture
3. Aviation Man of the Year in West Africa – Captain Solomon Quianoo (Ghana)
4. Hotel Personality of the Year in West Africa – Amaechi Ndili – Golden Tulip West Africa
5. Best Airline in West Africa – African World Airline (AWA)
6. Best Hotel in West Africa – Kempinski Goldcity Hotel.
7. Best Airport in West Africa (for government agencies) – Kotoka International Airport, Ghana.
8. Best Ground Handling Company in West Africa – Skyway Aviation Handling Company (SAHCOL)
9. Best Tourism Marketing Agency in West Africa – Ghana Tourism Authority
10. Best Tourism event of the Year in West Africa – Carnival Calabar, Nigeria
11. Top twenty (20) Conference centers in West Africa
• Accra International Conference Centre, Ghana
• Kempinski Goldcoast city Hotel, Ghana
• La Palm Royal Beach, Accra, Ghana.
• Movenpick Ambassador Hotel, Accra, Ghana
• Labadi Hotel, Accra, Ghana
• Alisa Hotel North ridge, Ghana.
• Abuja International Conference Centre , Nigeria
• Transcorp Hilton, Abuja, Nigeria
• Abuja Sheraton Hotel, Abuja, Nigeria
• Eko Hotel and Suites Convention Centre, Lagos, Nigeria
• The Landmark Centre, Lagos, Nigeria.
• Muson Centre, Lagos, Nigeria
• King Fahd Palace Hotel, Dakar, Senegal.
• Salle de conference, Dakar, Senegal.
• Kairaba Beach Hotel, Gambia
• Coral Beach, Brufut, Gambia.
• Palais des congress, Cotonou, Benin.
• Hotel du 2 Fevrier, Lome Togo.
• Sofitel Abidjan Hotel I’voire, Abidjan
• Hotel President, Yamoussoukro, Côte d’Ivoire.