Following a threat by the proponents of the Operation Dudul to attack foreign nationals in South Africa, the Nigeria High Commission in South Africa has warned Nigerians living there to be vigilant and exercise caution in their day-to-day activities.
According to Daily Trust, a letter by the Consular Section in Pretoria titled ‘Advisory to Nigerians in South Africa’ said the group made the threat through a public notice and video clips circulated on the social media.
The letter said the group had informed of plans to march against foreign migrants in South Africa starting from September 2 and specifically on foreign business owners, shops and undocumented foreign nationals.
“Nigerian residents in South Africa are hereby advised to exercise caution and be watchful in carrying out their day-to-day activities.”
This is coming after Nigerian students were cautioned by the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NiDCOM) against going to Northern Cyprus. Mrs Abike Dabiri-Erewa, the chairperson handed down the warning on Thursday in Abuja at a ministerial briefing organised by the Presidential Communications Team. According to Tribune, she said Northern Cyprus was not recognised by the UN, adding that a lot of students had been killed there.
“There have been a lot of problems in Northern Cyprus; we have youths come to tell us, please tell everybody to stop going to Northern Cyprus. “We did that some time ago and we were challenged at what rights we had to tell people not to go Northern Cyprus. “I say it again; if you have to go to Northern Cyprus, think twice about it; no fewer than 20 students have been killed over the years and nothing has happened to the assailants.
“Students who had gone there earlier came to tell us that they had to embark on awareness campaign; don’t go to these places; Northern Cyprus is recognised only by Turkey,’’ she said. Dabiri-Erewa added that NiDCOM would continue to appeal that Nigeria took a strong decision about places like Northern Cyprus.