The government of Ghana has issued an evacuation advisory to its citizens living in South Africa following growing fears over renewed xenophobic attacks targeting foreign nationals in parts of the country.
According to businesstech.co.za, Authorities say the move is aimed at protecting Ghanaians amid escalating tensions and reports of violence against immigrants.
The Minister of Foreign Affairs in Ghana, Samuel Ablakwa, announced on X that the first batch of 300 Ghanaians will be evacuated from South Africa on Thursday, 21 May.
The minister noted that the special chartered flight would leave O.R. Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg, at 05h00.
His office added that the evacuation flight is fully funded by the Government of Ghana, and that all Ghanians are encouraged to contact the Ghana High Commission in Pretoria.
This evacuation notice follows weeks of diplomatic tensions between the two countries after Ghana raised concerns with the African Union (AU) over what it described as repeated xenophobic attacks against African migrants in South Africa.
Ghana recently asked the AU to formally discuss the violence and consider intervention measures.
The request came after the safe return of a Ghanaian national who appeared in a widely circulated video linked to recent xenophobic incidents in South Africa.
Ghana’s Coordinating Director for Political and Economic Affairs, Ambassador Harold Agyeman, said the government remained deeply concerned about the attacks.
“The African continent must be a space of unity and mutual respect,” he said.
He added that Ablakwa had summoned South Africa’s Acting High Commissioner to Ghana to formally express the country’s concerns, and said Ghana would continue to monitor developments closely.
According to Agyeman, South African authorities had acknowledged Ghana’s concerns and were working to prevent similar incidents.
Despite the engagements, he added that the conditions for foreign nationals in South Africa had not fully normalised.
In response to the growing concerns, South Africa’s Minister of International Relations and Cooperation, Ronald Lamola, said that he has engaged many African governments, including Ghana, to calm tensions and reassure foreign nationals living in the country.
South Africa remains committed to the safety of all who reside in the country
In a statement, the Department of International Relations and Cooperation said Lamola had “reaffirmed South Africa’s commitment to protect the rights of nationals, residents and visitors in line with the rule of law”.
The department also pushed back against allegations circulating online that Ghanaian and Nigerian nationals had been killed during recent protests and law enforcement operations.
“There is no credible evidence to draw this conclusion at this stage,” the department said.
The department stressed that South Africa remained committed to Pan-Africanism, Ubuntu, and solidarity, noting the historic support that many African countries provided to South Africans during the struggle against apartheid.
Lamola also urged African countries to work through existing bilateral structures to address migration challenges and establish early warning systems to prevent tensions from escalating.
The South African government acknowledged that migration pressures, unemployment, and frustrations with service delivery have contributed to periodic tensions between locals and foreign nationals.
According to the department, South Africa is home to an estimated 3 million migrants, about 90% of whom come from other parts of Africa, making it the largest host of African immigrants in the world.
“It is also a fact that South Africa’s history of migration and its diverse foreign-born population have intersected with economic anxieties around unemployment and service delivery,” the statement said.
The government said it was reviewing its immigration policies to better manage migration pressures and strengthen border controls.
It pointed to measures such as a new points-based visa system, an upgraded population register, and expanded deportation efforts by the Border Management Authority.
Despite the growing diplomatic row, South Africa said it remained open to dialogue with Ghana and other African states. “South Africa will continue to lead with a Pan-African heart,” Lamola said.
“Our commitment is to solidarity, the rule of law, and the safety of all who reside within our borders. Migration must be managed through cooperation, compassion and continental responsibility.”