Nigerian Government has condemned the demolition of its high commission in Accra, Ghana by unidentified armed who invaded the premises on Friday and destroyed some of the apartment under construction.
Nigeria’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama who condemned the act on his twitter handle said the government is engaging the Ghanaian government in other to bring the perpetrators to book.
Onyeama said: “We strongly condemn two outrageous criminal attacks in Accra, Ghana, on a residential building in our diplomatic premises by unknown persons in which a bulldozer was used to demolish the building.
“We are engaging the Ghanaian Government and demand urgent action to find the perpetrators and provide adequate protection for Nigerians and their property in Ghana” he said.
According to atqnews.com, the affected buildings were reportedly being constructed to house staff and visitors.
A Ghanaian businessman had accused the commission of encroaching on his land.
He was said to have visited the place last week, presenting evidence that he is the real owner of the land.
However, he reportedly returned to the site on Friday in the company of armed men who supervised the demolition.
Officials of the commission reportedly contacted the police but efforts were not made to prevent the demolition.
The Nigerian and Ghanaian authorities are yet to react to the issue which comes five months after the ministry of foreign affairs denied reports that the Nigerian commission in Ghana had been evicted in Accra.
In a statement, Ferdinand Nwonye, spokesperson of the ministry, had said there was no “diplomatic row between Nigeria and the Republic of Ghana”.
Nwonye had said though the lease of the property on No.10 Barnes Road, Accra, has expired, the high commission was exploring the possibility of renewing the lease agreement with the host authorities.