Diverse Alcohol Consumption Patterns Reflect Africa’s Rich Cultural Heritage.
According to africa.businessinsider.com, Somalia and Mauritania top the list with zero alcohol consumption, driven by cultural and religious factors.
Libya, Niger, and Egypt also have minimal alcohol consumption due to cultural norms.
Senegal, Guinea, Morocco, DR Congo, and Chad maintain low alcohol consumption rates shaped by diverse cultural and societal influences.
we delve into the World Health Organization (WHO) data to identify the 10 African countries with the lowest alcohol consumption rates. To offer a clearer comparison, we present this data in a table format.
1. Somalia – 0.00: Somalia stands out with a remarkable zero alcohol consumption rate, mainly due to the cultural and religious significance of abstaining from alcohol.
2. Mauritania – 0.00: Similarly, Mauritania records an alcohol consumption rate of zero, reflecting the influence of cultural norms and Islamic beliefs.
3. Libya – 0.01: Libya follows closely with a minimal consumption rate of 0.01, highlighting the limited presence of alcohol in the country.
4. Niger – 0.11: Niger maintains a conservative approach to alcohol with a consumption rate of 0.11, indicating its unique societal values.
5. Egypt – 0.14: Egypt, home to a predominantly Muslim population, boasts a low alcohol consumption rate of 0.14, driven by religious teachings.
6. Senegal – 0.25: Senegal embraces a moderate approach to alcohol, with a consumption rate of 0.25 that aligns with its cultural norms.
7. Guinea – 0.33: Guinea exhibits a culture where moderate alcohol consumption is the norm, reflected in its consumption rate of 0.33.
8. Morocco – 0.51: Morocco, known for its rich cultural diversity, maintains a relatively low alcohol consumption rate of 0.51 compared to some neighbouring countries.
9. DR Congo – 0.56: The Democratic Republic of Congo (DR Congo) reports a moderate alcohol consumption rate of 0.56, ler than several other African nations.
10. Chad – 0.55: Chad rounds off the list with an alcohol consumption rate of 0.55, influenced by its cultural traditions and societal values.
Rank Country Alcohol Consumption Rate
1 Somalia 0.00
2 Mauritania 0.00
3 Libya 0.01
4 Niger 0.11
5 Egypt 0.14
6 Senegal 0.25
7 Guinea 0.33
8 Morocco 0.51
9 DR Congo 0.56
10 Chad 0.55